QC with NAV 2016Quality Control (QC) can be an important part of the manufacturing process. Manufactured items are generally not available for use until the QC process has been completed. Dynamics NAV provides many different features for QC. The following is one of the possible configurations within NAV to do this:
Creating Work Centres for QC
Work Centres can be used to manage the QC process. The work centre can be created and setup with a calendar, availability, and unit cost of running the QC operations.
For external QC process (subcontracting), you can set up the work centre as "Specific Unit Cost". This means that you can define the unit cost for External QC process in the Routing.
Setting up Routing with QC
When routings are set up for the item, external and internal QC processes can be added as operations. For external QC, you can define the Unit cost per column to identify the cost of the testing. When you run subcontracting worksheets, the system will automatically create a Purchase Order for the QC process, which can be sent to the laboratory conducting the tests.
Quality Measures and Tolerances
Dynamics NAV provides process flow to define quality parameters and the tolerable ranges for an operation within the Routing.
You can add new fields to store additional quality characteristics as per your requirement.
Processing Production Orders
During production order creation, the system copies the Quality Measures to the production order. Minor changes can be made to print these on the Job card and store the actual values of quality parameters against the order.
Important features of QC
- Records tests results against items
- Quarantines inventory until tests are performed and passed
- Records test results against lot and serial numbers, as well as the non-tracked items’ movements
- Generates tests at purchase receipt or inventory movements
- Raises non-conformance documents for failed tests
- Item, which passes tests can be automatically moved into a default bin
- Provides visibility of stock that is still to be tested in a quarantine area
- MRP also has visibility of this stock
- Configurable test colour coding
- Add-hoc tests can be raised
- Allows goods-in inspection
- Allows inspection within the manufacturing process
- Quality control of stock
- Definable sample tests
- Suggests sample tests
- Audit trail, such as tracking who created the tests
QC module incorporates comprehensive inspection procedures of raw materials, work-in-process and vendor returns. It tracks defective materials, and suggests returning to vendor or rejection, or reworking. Through its statistical process control tools, it measures production performance and procedures. It also exercises close monitoring of the vendor's quality and delivery metrics.
To sum up, this module protects a company's reputation, increases customer satisfaction and highlights problems in the manufacturing process.