Microsoft Dynamics 365 Subscription Licensing
Microsoft Dynamics 365 evolves from Microsoft's current CRM and ERP cloud solutions into one cloud service with new purpose-built applications to help and manage specific business functions. Dynamics 365 applications are designed so they can be easily and independently deployed. A customer can start with what they need, yet the applications work together so, as the business demands, the customer can adopt additional capabilities with ease.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 has two editions, Enterprise and Business editions. The Enterprise edition is optimized for complex organizations and those managing businesses at global scale.
Subscription Licensing Requirements
Microsoft Dynamics 365, Enterprise edition has two types of Subscription Licenses:
- User SLs are assigned on a "named user" basis, meaning each user requires a separate User SL; User SLs cannot be shared but an individual with a User SL may access the service through multiple devices.
- Device SLs are assigned to license a device.
Since Microsoft Dynamics 365 may be licensed with User or Device SL, only the user or the device requires a SL, but not both. If the user of a device is licensed with a User SL, then the device does not need a Device SL. Likewise, if the device is licensed with a Device SL, then the user does not need a User SL. Customers can mix both User and Device SLs.
The subscription licenses include access rights to the default Microsoft Dynamics 365 instances included in the subscription account, and every additional Microsoft Dynamics 365 instance (production or non-production) associated with the same Azure AD tenant.
Dual Use Rights
One of the advantages of Microsoft Dynamics 365 is dual use rights. This allows customers the option to deploy the server software either in Microsoft’s cloud or in a private on-premises or partner-hosted cloud. In some cases, customers may want to deploy both types of instances simultaneously.
With Dual Use Rights, Microsoft Dynamics 365 users licensed with the required User SL do not need to acquire CALs to access Server instances.
Dual Use Rights included with Microsoft Dynamics 365 SLs are non-perpetual and will expire when the cloud subscription expires.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Subscription License Types
Microsoft Dynamics 365 simplifies licensing of business applications. The primary licensing is by named user subscription. The Microsoft Dynamics 365 user subscriptions classify users into two types, "full users
" and "other users
are the users whose work requires use of the feature rich business applications functionality. Examples of full users are sales people, customer service representatives, finance employees, controllers and supply chain managers.
often represent a large percentage of users in an organization and may consume data or reports from line of business systems, complete light tasks like time or expense entry and HR record updates or be heavier users of the system, but not require full user capabilities. These other users are licensed with Dynamics 365 for Team Members, Dynamics 365 for Operations Activity or Dynamics 365 for Talent subscriptions.
Dynamics 365 for Team Members
The Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Team Members subscription is a named user subscription designed for users who are not tied to a particular function, but who require basic Dynamics 365 functionality. This license includes read access as well as some write access for select light tasks across all Dynamics 365 applications for a given tenant.
The Team Members SL user may access Dynamics 365 data from Dynamics 365 for Unified Operations Plan and Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Plan Applications.
Team Member use rights for Dynamics 365 for Unified Operations Plan Applications
The Team Members SL grants a user the following Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Dynamics 365 for Retail and Dynamics 365 for Talent rights for their own use and not for, or on behalf of, other individuals:
- To record any type of time
- To record any type of expenses
- Manage personal information
- Manage direct employee activities in Human Resources
- Create requisitions
- Create or edit the items related to the following capabilities: quality control, service orders and departmental budgets
- Approval of time, expense, invoices
Team Member use rights for Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Plan Applications
The Team Members SL grants a user the following Dynamics 365 for Sales, Dynamics 365 for Customer Service, Dynamics 365 for Field Service, or Dynamics 365 for Project Service Automation rights for their own use and not for, or on behalf of, other individuals:
- Write access to Accounts, Contacts, Activities, Tasks and notes
- Record time and expense for Dynamics 365 for Project Service Automation, and apply for projects
- Set up and manage the knowledgebase and Interactive Service Hub
- Update personal information
- User Reporting and dashboards
- Edit Custom Entities*
- Participate as an end-consumer of Dynamics 365 services such as responding to surveys, or applying for projects
Dynamics 365 for Operations Activity
The Dynamics 365 for Operations Activity subscription is a named user subscription intended for users who may be heavy users of the application, but do not require the use rights of a full user. Dynamics 365 for Operations Activity use rights include all Team Member user rights as well as the right to:
- Approve all Activity related transactions
- Create or edit the items related to warehousing, receiving, shipping, orders, vendor maintenance, and all budgets
- Operate a Point-of-Sale (POS) device, store manager device, shop floor device, or warehouse device.